Sunday, April 17, 2011

ROOM SERVICE: TENJEWBERRYMUDS

Funny Room Service

The following is a telephone exchange between a hotel guest and room-service at a hotel in Asia. It was recorded and published in the Far East Economic Review:

To get the full effect it should be read aloud. [You will understand what 'tenjewberrymuds' means by the end of the conversation.]

Room Service (RmSv):  Morrin. Roon sirbees.
Guest:  Sorry, I thought I dialled room-service.

RmSv:  Rye...Roon sirbees...morrin! Jewish to oddor sunteen?
Guest:  Uh..yes..I'd like some bacon and eggs.

RmSv:  Ow July den?
Guest:  What??

RmSv:  Ow July den?...pryed, boyud, poochd?
Guest:  Oh, the eggs! How do I like them? Sorry, scrambled please.

RmSv:  Ow July dee baykem? Crease?Funny toast
Guest:  Crisp will be fine.

RmSv:  Hokay. An Sahn toes?
Guest:  What?

RmSv:  An toes. July Sahn toes?
Guest:  I don't think so.

RmSv:  No? Judo wan sahn toes??
Guest:  I feel really bad about this, but I don't know what 'judo wan sahn toes' means.

RmSv:  Toes! toes!... Why jew don juan toes? Ow bow Anglish moppin we bodder?
Guest:  English muffin!! I've got it! You were saying 'Toast.' Fine. Yes, an English muffin will be fine.

RmSv:  We bodder?
Guest:  No...just put the bodder on the side.

RmSv:  Wad?
Guest:  I mean butter... just put it on the side.

RmSv:  Copy?
Guest:  Excuse me?

RmSv:  Copy...tea...meel?
Guest:  Yes. Coffee, please, and that's all.

RmSv:  One Minnie. Scramah egg, crease baykem, Anglish moppin we bodder on sigh and copy...rye?
Guest:  Whatever you say.

RmSv:  Tenjewberrymuds.
Guest:  You're very welcome.

*****************************************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment